Lead PayTech Engineer
At Curve, we are on a mission to simplify and unify the way people spend, send, see and save money. Centralising your money into a smart card, connected to an even smarter app. With Curve you can spend from all your accounts, track spend behaviour and provide insights, and security to protect you from fraud. For the first time giving you bright insights and control of all your money in one place.
We're developing a ground-breaking product with our customers at the core. Our user base is growing rapidly and we have exceptional metrics. We have funding from some of the leading names in tech investment, and a visionary leadership team who wants everyone who joins this remarkable adventure, to have the autonomy to masterfully develop their expertise.
Your Challenge will include
Technical complexity, scalability, security and real-time transactions are all part of our day-to-day challenges. If you like to be intellectually stretched, your capabilities tested and want an opportunity to have a real voice, impactful contribution, and work on exciting projects then we’re offering that in abundance.
- Working with the CTO to steer Curve’s product teams’ technical evolution through instilling core principles around Build, Measure, Learn, Continuous Improvement & Build, Run and Own resulting in sustainable, autonomous, high performing teams using Agile delivery methods and XP engineering practices to realise Continuous Delivery and rapid feature feedback with low risk of customer impact.
- Forming a key part of the technical leadership team at Curve contributing to the governance, recruitment and mentoring of other team members with the objective of hiring, retaining and developing world class engineers.
- Leading and guiding architecture discussions, being the voice of experience helping the team balance flexibility, expediency and scalability.
- Leading by example by having a fanatical focus on, writing secure, highly performant, test driven, maintainable and fault tolerant microservices that will power the core of Curve's platform truly - 'Building, Running and Owning' your services.
- Proactive optimisation of high transaction volume systems to improve performance, stability and scalability.
- Implementing innovative proof of concepts for multiple projects.
- Designing high performance and scalable architecture for our system, services and products whilst aligning with the need to deliver incrementally, fast and often.
- Hands on coding to lead by example and demonstrate best practices, rolling up your sleeves to raise the game for the entire Engineering team.
- Collaborating with the wider engineering team to specify and document well designed APIs and services through the implementation of a service catalogue to enable rapid delivery of new features building on a suite of fundamental microservices.
- Avoiding over engineering, by focusing on making it work, then making it beautiful, promoting experimentation by reducing the cost of failure, being an advocate of evidence based decision making and thinking customer first.
- Contributing to assessing, exploring and controlling technology risk and driving the technology selection process.
- Assisting in early issue identification, resolution and subsequent root cause analysis.
- Championing new technologies and enforcing the best development patterns and practices. Being the best you can be and bringing everyone with you.
- Keeping a keen eye on the future, making sure the code base doesn’t become stale, initiating code refactoring and implementation of new and best practices whilst ensuring that our systems remains secure to newly identified threats.
Who Should You be
- Several years experience crafting software and a demonstrable intimate knowledge in a large array of software languages - bonus with PHP, Golang, Java, Swift, Kotlin
- Track record of building large concurrent applications using multiple microservices (experience and deep understanding of microservice architecture, protocols, tools, performance, auto-scalability, etc… a must)
- Has developed and run large scale production environments in or closely with DevOps / SRE
- Deep knowledge of building high performance and high availability systems
- Always on the forefront of development practices like TDD, BDD, CI, CD and knows where and how it’s appropriate to apply each
- Ideally a track record of designing scalable payment systems architecture
- Robust knowledge of security architecture
- Knows how effective teams work and has been involved in a variety of agile environments
- Has developed and shipped mobile apps to the App or Play store a bonus
Perks & benefits
- Monthly health & wellbeing budget for gym, etc.
- Learning & Development annual budget
- Supper & Taxis home should you work late
- Work from home
- Ride to Work Scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- ‘Breakfast Mondays’, ‘Lunch Fridays’ and ‘Friday Drinks’
More about us
We are a high-performance team of circa 60 rallied around a higher purpose; we work closely together to turn dreams and ideas into actions and product innovation. With a flat hierarchy and an ability to make decisions quickly, we’re based in a great office in Shoreditch, close to Old Street – the heart of the vibrant tech centre of London.
We are an equal opportunities employer. At Curve, we value the unique skills of every employee, and we’re building a technology organization that thrives on diversity. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
All offers are conditional on references, verification of the right to work in the UK, and successful background screening check. Further details of this policy/procedure will be sent to you along with your conditional offer.